Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Testing...testing...

My camera is on its last legs, so I haven't really been able to do any posts about what I'm working on in the studio these days. Mostly, I've been doing my required assignments for my ceramics IV class and making a lot of test tiles for an upcoming surface treatment assignment. Here are some really crappy photos from my cell phone of my newest test tile-making method:

First, I roll out of slab of clay and cut it to be 10 inches long and 4 inches wide. Then I texture half of it with a bisque stamp (mine is a sort of pebbly pattern). To get that angled test tile shape, I then drape the long clay slab over the flap of a cardboard clay box, adjusting the flap inside the box to get the right angle.


After the slab has stiffened up a bit, I cut it into 2" tiles with a wire knife, and then use a hole cutter to put a hole in the corner of each tile. I also score a line into the inside bend of the tile, to make it easier to break off the unglazed base of the test tile after firing.


This leaves me with little square test tiles that can be hung up on nails or tied together into sets. I use a weird self-created shorthand to record the glaze information on the base of the test tile before firing using an underglaze marker, and then write the information again in Sharpie on the back of the finished tile. Once some of these are out of the kiln, I'll post a photo of a finished one. Hopefully all of my testing will yield some cool new colors and surfaces!

No comments: