Friday, May 15, 2009

What grabs you? (part II)

Continuing the discussion of what "grabs" me in this world, I have to bring up plants and flowers. Now, this is something that grabs a lot of artists, as evidenced by the amount of botanically-inspired artwork out there.

I think what I notice the most about plants is their colors. I can't get enough of the brilliant, saturated colors of flowers in bloom, and the soothing green of trees and open fields. I've never been as interested in the specific shapes and forms of plants, although the shape and proportion of a lovely tree or orchid blossom will catch my eye from time to time.

No, what I love the most about plants is their very vitality, the fact that they are growing, moving, changing, and filling the world with their color and life. I think this is why I've never been a winter person. The monochromatic grays and browns of the winter landscape leave me feeling weary. The brilliant, shining colors of summer are energizing and uplifting, and I think that's why I've always been attracted to them in my work.

No comments: