Thursday, July 23, 2009

Anderson Ranch: Day Four

Wow, I can't believe my week at Anderson Ranch is almost over! It's gone so fast. I just have tomorrow and then I'm done.

Today, we took a field trip to Harvey/Meadows Gallery in Aspen. If you've seen the Artstream traveling art gallery at NCECA, then you've seen the precursor to this gallery. Owned and operated by ceramic artists Sam Harvey and Alleghany Meadows, this gallery features a wide range of contemporary sculptural and functional ceramic art, including some work by my teacher, Chris Gustin. Alleghany and Sam were so lovely to host us there. They talked extensively about their gallery's role in educating the public about ceramic art, as well as giving them the opportunity to purchase it. So many people have no idea what an amazing medium ceramics is, because it's dwarfed in the art world by painting and sculpture. But once people learn a bit about it and buy a piece or two, they're often hooked for life!

The main gallery space was full of amazing large pieces by Betty Woodman, Virginia Scotchie, Bobby Silverman, and numerous other fantastic artists. But my primary interest lay in the tiny backroom storage space. It was full of functional pottery, by every big name in the field right now. Andrew Martin, Julia Galloway, Christa Assad, Josh DeWeese, Lisa Orr, and many, many more, all there in one little room. As I looked through the cluttered shelves, I felt an awe and a reverence, as though I was inside the Notre Dame cathedral or viewing the Sistine Chapel ceiling. My love of pots is enormous at times!

I walked away today with a Sam Clarkson tumbler called "Speed of Life" and a Julia Galloway sugar and creamer set. I looked through tons of wonderful pots, but when I handled these pieces, I immediately fell in love. Especially when I discovered that the pillowy lid of the Galloway creamer has a tiny clay bead tucked inside, making it a little rattle! I love those little surprises in pots. And the Sam Clarkson tumbler was so lovely in the hand, I couldn't put it down. Sorry the photos aren't better, it's a bit dark here in my condo.

Tomorrow, I wrap up my workshop with an individual discussion with Chris about my work, and a group review of all the pieces we made this week. It's been an incredible experience, and I feel so lucky to have been here!

No comments: